Sunday, January 27, 2008

Some people are so darn creative!

I, of course, am not one of them. This was painfully obvious to me at a workshop I attended on Saturday put on by my quilt guild. Oh, I have managed to dream up and execute some pieces when participating in various challenges put on by my quilt guild, but I can't think up things on the spot. Case in point: I purchased the fabric kit for the quilt challenge for our 2007 quilt show in January of 2006, I finally came up with an idea and a plan to execute it in October 2006 - 10 months! It wasn't even that complicated a design! But, back to the workshop...

It was called Painted Fusibles and the idea is once you have painted some type of fusible web in your choice of colours and design, let the paint dry and then fuse to a light coloured background fabric and then embellish with thread, yarn, buttons, beads, glitter, feathers, ribbon, netting, silk, etc., etc., etc. to create a small work of art. I used some of my daughter's acrylic paints that she left at home when she went off to University. I brought primary colours red, blue, yellow and white. I should have brought the black as well, but I was in a hurry when I was gathering my supplies for the workshop and didn't want to drag too much stuff with me.

I started blending colours and painting on my Heat 'n Bond not really sure what I was doing. I just kept adding rows of colour. The first piece ended up looking something like a brilliant sunset over a green meadow... hmmmm. After a couple of pieces painted in the same left to right stripes, I tried some on the diagonal, this time leaving some white space. Next, I started painting a piece of Stitch Witchery (a fusible without paper backing). Initially, I had the same straight lines and then decided to go wild with some 'S' curves... woohoo! Followed by some random blobs of paint. Then after watching a classmate who was applying paint to her Stitch Witchery with her hands, I broke loose and smeared the paint across the surface of the fusible. It ended up being my favourite piece. I was trying not to make too much of a mess, but dripping and splattering paint onto the fusible web was strangely gratifying.

Now all the painting was complete and dried, it was time to fuse to fabric and create our works of art. Total blank... well, that piece kind of looks like it might be underwater... I need some fish. Of course, I did not bring anywhere close to the amount of stuff needed for this art project but my classmates were generous and gave me some tropical fish fabric, some wool strips I could use for seaweed and some sequins which could serve as bubbles. I added some small buttons for bubbles as well and then the whole lot gets covered in netting and fused again to hold it all together. When all is said and done, it looks like a grade 3 art project. I thought it might look better in digital form... hhmmm... not so much.

At least I finished one piece. Well, it's not actually finished. It still need to be layered and quilting somehow. I think I will just skip it. I went through the process, I know how to create an art piece using this technique. I think I will just wait until inspiration strikes me to use one of the other painted fusible pieces. Or not.

No comments: